About Global Campus Network
Who we are
The Global Campus Network is a unique, collaborative international project for post-secondary institutions. It connects students from around the world to create live, online shows, stories and interviews. Students have the opportunity to voice their opinions, showcase their perspectives and learn from the discussion of our cultural differences and similarities. Our programs cover a wide variety of topics in the areas of :news, current affairs, arts and sports. As well students and faculty can get involved in collaborative research projects and e-learning modules.
The Global Campus Network is a hub for global collaborative media education, production, artistic expression and research.
Since 2010, the GCN has established 20 international partnerships in:
Australia, Brazil, Denmark, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Israel, Russia, Scotland, South Africa, the UK, the USA, and other international locations. The GCN is based at Ryerson University in Toronto. We worked with our industry partner, Haivision to develop technology that lets us interact with our partners using high definition video with zero delay.
Future plans include outreach to connect Indigenous communities, as well as less privileged populations from around the world through other technologies and applications being created in our collaborative development portal.
The Global Campus Network’s ultimate goal is to use our forum of open and interactive communication, the network and its constituents, to engage young people to interact with each other in novel ways.
What we've done
The Global City was the first show produced on the Global Campus Network. Student hosts and reporters discussed issues ranging from: how beauty and physical appearance are judged in different cultures, the impact of student debt on university graduates, the relationship Milennials have with technology and many more.
Ryerson's GCN facilitated the production of a live on stage collaborative choreographic performance entitled “Stream” with the National Ballet School of Canada and Dutch National Ballet Academy. Audiences live and online got to watch two groups of talented dancers from across the Atlantic Ocean move completely in synch.
We were onstage at the Air Canada Center in Toronto for the Free the Children, We Day event in 2014. It brings together 20 thousand teenagers to talk about global poverty. Our students in Toronto and Johannesburg connected with the audience to talk about how online media productions can help us all understand troubling issues in other parts of the world.
Our partners at the University of Queensland in Australia produced a GCN show with Ryerson University during the G20 Summit in Brisbane, in 2014.
We have worked with media leaders such as Shelagh O’Brien – Director of the Socchi and Pan Am Games opening and ceremonies, the internationally known author, Deepa Mehta and many more.
- Australia: University of Queensland, Brisbane
- Australia: RMIT, Melbourne
- Brazil: METODISTA- Universidade Metodista de São Paulo
- Brazil: UNISINOS, Porto Alegre
- Chile: Universidad Finis Terrae, Santiago
- Canada: Ryerson University, Toronto
- Denmark: Danish School of Media and Journalism, Aarhus and Copenhagen
- Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong
- India: Annapurna International School of Film and Media, Hyderabad
- Ireland: Dublin Institute of Technology
- Israel: Tel Aviv University
- New Zealand: AUT - Auckland University of Technology
- Russia: HSE, Moscow
- Russia: M.V Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow
- Russia: Gerasimov Institute of Cinematography, Moscow
- Scotland: UWS- University of the West of Scotland, Ayr
- Singapore: Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- South Africa: University of Johannesburg
- Taiwan: National Taiwan University of Sport, Taichung
- UK: London Southbank University
- USA: California State University Fresno
- USA: Rutgers University, New Jersey
- Vietnam: RMIT, Vietnam
- ... and new partnerships are currently being developed
Global Campus Network Office
Operations and Marketing Manager
Executive Director - Management
Executive Producer - Content